Wednesday, January 16, 2013

School Days


I honestly have no idea how it happened.  One day I was holding my precious little newborn bundle of joy in my arms. Soaking in every detail of her little face.  Laughing at her coos and gassy smiles.  I put her down and walked out of the room for just a second, and when I walked back in she was a beautiful 3 year old big girl getting dressed without any help in clothes that she picked out all by herself for her first day of preschool.  Seriously, that's what it feels like.  Thank goodness she still needs my help tying her shoes or you would probably find me crying in the fetal position on the floor.  I realize that the transition to preschool is small potatoes compared to the milestones to come... in a couple years she'll be off to elementary school. And walking there, no less! (Speaking of which, at what age do you let your kid walk to school by herself?  I'm queasy just thinking about it.) We'll blink our eyes and she'll be getting her driver's license, going off to college... ahhhh!

But for now, we are tackling preschool.  And while it's not college, it is a major change for us.  Well, it's a major change for me.  Avery seems to be handling it like a champ.  It's only two mornings a week, but it's two mornings a week less than I'm used to spending with her and that's hard. I will say though, that the time flies by and I am loving the special one on one time I get with Norah on Monday and Wednesday mornings.  My sweet baby Norah doesn't get much momma time by herself and it has been great for us.  She still takes a morning nap, but we manage to snag an hour or so each time for reading books and playing "I'm gonna get you".  It is equal parts sad and adorable that Norah has started pointing at the door saying, "Sis! Sis!" while Avery is gone.  I love that she misses her big sister!  It's probably a good thing that Avery doesn't seem to miss us at all while she's gone. :)  She is a pro at preschool and although she often won't tell us many details other than what the snack was that day, we can see so many ways that she is learning and growing.  Her classroom and teachers are wonderful and we love that the number one mission of the preschool is to teach the kids about God's love for them.  Everything they do centers around that theme.  We couldn't be happier with Grace Preschool!

 Avery decided she wanted to take Norah to school with her but she wouldn't fit in the bag.

 Each student was given an identical bag (it has the Grace Preschool logo on the other side) and we were told to decorate it in a way that would be easily recognizable to them. Is it any surprise that Avery asked for a Wizard of Oz bag?  Thank goodness for iron-ons! 

 I asked Avery what she wanted to be when she grew up and she said a princess, so I made a sign.  Later that day she said, "Mom, actually when I grow up I want to be a ballerina."  So I made a new sign.  Then when I was putting her to bed that night she said, "Mom, actually when I grow up I want to be a hair cutter."  The next morning when it was time to take the photo she had come full circle and settled back on princess.  I love the mind of a 3 year old!

 Avery, Daddy, and Norah walking to her classroom.  She was so brave!

Starting to get a little nervous!

We dropped her off and got her settled in then said our goodbyes.  She was off and playing and having a great time before we even got out the door.  I tried my best to hold it together, but Erich pretty much had to guide me out of the building since I couldn't see through my tears.  Once we got to the car he just let me sob and didn't make me feel like I was crazy. And then, because he's the best husband ever, he took me (and Norah) out on a coffee date because coffee makes everything better.  I know it all sounds a bit dramatic.  I didn't cry because I was worried about her, I knew she'd be fine. I didn't cry because I missed her,  I knew I'd see her in 2 and 1/2 hours.  I cried when we walked away from her in that classroom the same way I cried when I stopped nursing her as a baby, the same way I cried when we packed up the leftover diapers (yes, it's true), the same way I'll cry when we reach other milestones that signify a little more independence and a little less needing momma.  These moments are healthy. They are good. They are fun. They are hard.  They are sad. They are happy.  That just about sums it up, doesn't it? I'm so proud of Avery for the big girl she is becoming. But I hope she let's me keep tying those shoes for a little bit longer...

No comments:

Post a Comment