We feel so blessed that we were able to spend a week in June with the Kelley side of our family (thank you Mom and Dad!!). We stayed in a beautiful lodge right smack in the middle of the gorgeous Hocking Hills in south-eastern Ohio. Although we were very excited to hit the road, I was a little nervous for our first vacation as a family of four. An 8 month old baby can be a little unpredictable, especially one who just started crawling. I pictured us spending every spare second of our "vacation" trying to get Norah to sleep, chasing her around as she curiously crawled to every nook and cranny of the lodge, and always having one eye on the perilous looking staircase so she wouldn't go tumbling down. We knew it was going to be a great time, but we were prepared to have our work cut out for us. Perhaps having our expectations set so low was a good thing because we were THRILLED when it didn't turn out that way at all. Norah slept like a champ the entire week (thanks to keeping her pack n play in the walk-in closet in our bedroom). Much to our surprise, the owners of the lodge had a large play yard there that we were able to have set up all week (picture a huge baby gate that forms a large fence in the middle of the living room giving Norah enough floor space to safely crawl around and allow the other kids to climb in and out and play with her). It was perfect! It was such a huge relief not to be constantly worried about where Norah was. If she wasn't in someone's arms, she was in the play yard and she had a great time being in the middle of all the action. Avery was in heaven spending the week with Grandma and Grandpa, her aunts and uncles, and all of her cousins. We spent the mornings hiking at the various parks or visiting the local shops. The afternoons were all about relaxing... lounging around the lodge, taking naps, reading, playing pool, and playing the Wii. The evenings may have been my favorite part... cooking and eating dinner together, a bon fire with smores, and the adults staying up late after all the kids were in bed playing party games and laughing like I haven't laughed in a long time. I can't believe we packed so much fun into 6 days.
The lodge sat at the top of a huge steep hill and looked out over miles of gorgeous scenery. It had a private hiking trail that led back to a cave which the kids loved. This photo doesn't do justice to how beautiful it was or how steep that hill was! Every time we drove to the lodge we would all say a little prayer that the cars would make it up (they always did!).
All of the cousins (minus baby Norah who was in the carrier on Erich's back). Spencer, Katie, Karly, Will, Avery, Oliver, and Sophia. Avery was so excited to spend a week with all of them. They all had a great time together!
Avery and I on our hike to the Upper Falls
Throughout the week we went hiking at Conkel's Hollow, Old Man's Cave, the Upper Falls, and a short lived stint at Cantwell Cliffs (it only took a couple of minutes to realize that taking 8 kids ages 10 and under to a trail with the word "Cliffs" in the title was not a good idea. Thankfully none of the adults suffered heart attacks, but it was close.)
Erich and his girls. What a trooper he is! He had Norah in the carrier for every hike and at times was doing double duty with Norah on his back and Avery in his arms when her legs got tired. He definitely got a work out.
Norah fell asleep on one of our trips and Erich spent a good long while walking hunched over so she could get a good nap. What a dad!
Avery and Grandma at Old Man's Cave
One afternoon Grandma and Grandma bravely stayed at the lodge and babysat the 7 youngest grandkids while the adults and 10 year old Spencer had quite the experience... The Hocking Hills Canopy Tour, a 3 hour zip lining adventure. An adventure it was! We zipped from tree to tree (some 90 feet in the air!) and made our way across some swaying rope bridges. I'm not the adventurous type so I was pretty nervous about it but decided to boldly press ahead and give it my best shot. That is, until we actually arrived and started the tour... which is when full out panic set in and I spent the next 3 hours with my eyes closed just trying not to cry. Not very bold. In the end I can say I'm glad I stuck it out and did it, but I would never ever ever do it again. Just not my cup of tea. Thankfully though the other 5 adults and Spencer loved it and had a blast. It was well worth it and I can honestly recommend it to others who enjoy a thrill. I don't.
Erich leaning out over the edge of one of the tree platforms waaaaaay up in the air. As our guides would say, "Trust your equipment!" (I never trusted mine)
Up in the trees
Aside from all of our outdoor adventures, we spent a lot of fun family time at the lodge eating, playing games, and relaxing. Paul and Kristen brought a hilarious and fun game, "Family Bingo". They had Bingo cards with photos of each family member as the bingo spaces. What a hoot! The kids and adults all had a great time with it.
Momma and Norah getting some cuddle time
Grandpa brought rubber band airplane kits for all the kids to launch off the deck out into the woods below. The kids loved it and I think Grandpa did too!
With all of the constant activity the kids didn't do much sitting still, but on our last full day there they were finally starting to crash and I think they enjoyed chilling out on the couch with some snacks and watching the movie "Tangled".
Throughout the week we all took turns trying out the Wii. A couple of people would play while everyone else would stand around and laugh at them... family bonding at it's finest! Grandma and Grandpa really got into it!
The pool table provided hours of entertainment for all the guys. Norah loved to watch and cracked up laughing every time they made a move. She definitely enjoyed the pool table.
Meal times were a lot of fun with everyone sitting around the table together. Here are all the kids having dinner one night. It was the evening we had the joy of celebrating Sophia's 2nd birthday with a little party, hence all the streamers and balloons.
16 people staying under one roof... 8 adults and 8 kids. Part of me wondered if by the end of the week we'd all be sick of each other and ready to part ways. Quite the contrary. Although we were ready to get home to our own beds, it really was hard to leave everyone. We had so much fun and I loved watching Avery interact and play with her cousins. She melted into a crying mess when it was time to get in the car and head home and I got a little choked up as we pulled away. Then a few hours later when we got home, Avery ran straight up to her room and literally hugged her bed saying, "Oh I missed you!". I understood just how she felt. It's a good sign when you love vacation so much you don't want to leave, but love your home so much you can't wait to get there. That's just how it should be.
















No comments:
Post a Comment