Due to Erich's work schedule this year, Mother's Day at our house fell in the middle of the week, sandwiched perfectly between two weekend visits where we got to see our own moms... one in Stow and one in Marysville. I couldn't have asked for more! This Mother's Day was extra sweet for me because I was holding both of my girls in my arms. Last year at this time I was loving on Avery while cherishing time with a precious babe safely tucked away on the inside. I loved knowing that she was in there being comforted by the beat of her momma's heart, and I couldn't wait to meet her face to face. What a joy it has been to transition to being a mother of two. Baby Norah is the perfect addition to our family and I loved celebrating this special holiday with her for the first time. Erich made me feel like the queen of the castle, showered me with gifts (some practical, and one very very sappy. Way to go Erich!), cooked me a delicious meal, and took over care of the girls so I could spend the day doing whatever I wanted. I took a nap and ran some errands by myself! It was a great laid back day... exactly how I like things to be. Avery, Norah, and I headed to Marysville for Mother's Day weekend while Erich worked. We'd spent the previous weekend in Stow for Nikki's birthday and got to spend time with Nana then. I've lost count of how many years it has been since I've actually seen my mom on Mother's Day (sorry Mom!), so this was a special treat for me. Erich and I know that we are better parents because of the example that was set for us by our own moms and dads. To spend Mother's Day celebrating that special bond with my mom was a blessing.
The Piland ladies
Avery's sense of style is emerging. She picked this outfit herself and it's one of her more tame wardrobe selections. She is stubborn and strong willed. She frustrates me and challenges us at times, but for the most part she is a sweet sweet girl and she makes me smile and laugh more than anything.
Baby Norah is my red headed cuddle bug. She loves to snuggle and be held constantly. At times my arms get tired or I get a little frustrated because I can't get much accomplished throughout the day, but let me tell you... I love it. Every time I hold her she wraps her legs around my waist, grabs a fist full of my shirt, and lays her head on my shoulder in total affection. I know this won't last forever so I'm choosing not to worry about the things left undone around the house. For now, as long as she'll let me, I'm just going to love holding her.
Avery and Norah already love each other so much. I can't wait to see how their relationship evolves over time.
Mother's Day in Perrysburg
I know I'm beyond blessed to be spending these years with my young children at home. I try not to take one second of it for granted. I'm told that each stage of raising kids gets better and better, but I have a hard time imaging that I'll ever enjoy any period of time more than I'm enjoying right now... my days filled with changing diapers, singing silly songs, cuddling babies, pushing swings at the park... How can it possibly get better? Maybe someday I'll look back and read these words and laugh at my own ignorance. Sometimes I catch myself feeling sad about the fact that my kids won't be babies forever and I have to stop and remember to enjoy them right now - soak it all in - rather than mourn the stage of life before it's actually over. It's not perfect. Between all of those sweet and blissful moments there are temper tantrums and spilled glasses of sticky juice and a teething baby crying at 3am and one tired tired momma. But it's worth it. I'm so thankful to be a mother.





No comments:
Post a Comment