I've always been kind of indifferent about Valentine's Day. I didn't love it or hate it, it was just a day. When I was a kid I enjoyed getting a special gift from my dad every year... usually my favorite candy in a tin (right up my alley!). Then in college I would always wait in anticipation for a care package from my mom. I spent my first 22 Valentine's Days without a special someone, and while I was never terribly bothered by that, it still wasn't exactly fun, and my parents knew how to soften the blow by letting me know that I was loved on February 14th, regardless of my relationship status. Then I met my special someone, and Valentine's Day lost it's power. Erich does a fabulous job of showing me how much he cares for me all the time. Neither one of us has ever really put much stock in this one particular day. We do exchange cards every year, but that's about it (I guess Hallmark wins after all). So like I said, I don't hate Valentine's Day but I've never really been crazy about it either. Until this year. Suddenly I see Valentine's Day as a way to love on my kids and teach them to love on others. Avery made a special craft that we sent to the grandparents and yesterday we made cookies to be delivered to a friend of a friend who is in the middle of a lengthy hospital stay (Erich was able to deliver them today because he is a patient at the hospital where Erich works). This morning we also delivered a plate of cookies to the school crossing guard who was standing out in the cold and snow on the corner down the street. I got a couple of small gifts for the girls (just like Dad always did for me) and for the first time ever I decorated for the holiday, making some pink and red decorations to add a little cheer around the house (thank you pinterest!). Avery, Norah, and I all wore pink and red today too. It was a fun day and I definitely felt the love as we celebrated in our own special way. Happy Valentine's Day to you, may you always remember how much you are loved, on February 14th and every day.
Avery working on her heart sun catchers for Grandma and Grandpa and Nana and Papa
Proud to show off the finished product!
My Valentine's girls showing off their pink outfits and their special gifts (heart suckers and a book for Avery, a book for Norah)
If those two keep that red hair and those blue eyes I am just going to die. Absolutely beautiful.
ReplyDelete