As I mentioned previously, this has been one of the hottest summers Ohio has on record. Of course, I was fortunate enough to be pregnant through the whole thing! Needless to say, most of our time spent outside was in the water and most of our time spent inside was with the air conditioner blasting (Erich has been very gracious about this... never complaining while he shivered under blankets and had dollar signs flashing in his eyes). Avery took to the water like a fish this summer and whether we were at the city pool, the ymca, the beach, or the baby pool in Nana and Papa's back yard, she was just happy to be swimming and practically had to be dragged out of the water. After the back pain that kept me laid up on the couch for the beginning part of the summer, I was just so so so thankful for every moment that I could spend having fun outside with my girl. Here are a few pictures of our summer fun...
Avery and Cara in Nana and Papa's baby pool.
The Piland ladies soaking up some sun.
Avery and I had a blast at a free local event for kids called "Sandtastic". A local outdoor shopping mall built a huge sandbox (bigger than our living room and kitchen combined I think) in the middle of the street and had it full of toys for the kids to play with along with professional sand sculpture demonstrations, live music, inflatables, and all sorts of other fun. I hope this becomes an annual event!
Unfortunately Daddy had to work and couldn't join us for Sandtastic, but Avery and I made a great little Mommy-Daughter date out of it and after we played in the sand for a bit I took Avery on her first visit to Johnny Rockets. We don't go out to restaurants all that often so it was a special treat for her and she was grinning from ear to ear the entire time. Her favorite part was when the wait staff spontaneously broke into a song and dance routine. Avery was dancing right along with them! When Erich got home from work that night and I tried to tell him about our day I broke down in tears because my heart was overwhelmed with joy that such a fun memory was made. These simple little moments are when my calling as a mother is most fulfilled. I love this job.
Every summer we take advantage of a free program at our city pool called "toddler time". They open the "kiddie" end of the pool from 10am-noon Monday-Friday for kids ages birth to 5 years old and their parents. It has been a huge blessing for us to attend toddler time and avoid the cost of having to buy a pool pass. It's more than enough time for Avery to get her water fix and it doesn't interfere with her nap time... perfect! This summer we went several mornings a week and I sat my big pregnant belly in the middle of the kiddie pool while Avery ran and swam around me. We were both happy campers! We usually meet Avery's little best friend Grace there and Lindsey and I get to talk while the girls entertain each other. This is the 3rd year in a row that we have pictures of Avery and Grace sitting next to each other in these chairs. I can't believe how fast they are growing!
Our friend (and Erich's co-worker), Nadine, has a wonderful in ground pool in her backyard and graciously invited us over for a pool play date. When Avery borrowed a pair of water wings from Nadine's granddaughter (also named Avery), we discovered that she loved the freedom of being able to float around on her own and we loved the freedom of not having to hold onto her every second she was in the water. You better believe I was at Walmart later that same week buying Avery a life jacket to wear at the pool! What a difference it makes! Nadine's pool has a diving board and all it took was Avery watching Erich jump off one time... she just had to try it! I couldn't believe that I was watching our two year old jump off the diving board over and over again and loving every second of it. (of course Daddy was always there to catch her... safety first!) Her sense of adventure is something to marvel at. She definitely doesn't get that from me!
This summer has flown by. I can't believe it's September already and time to start thinking about pumpkins, cool weather, and halloween costumes. (Oh yeah, and a new baby!) I am thankful for every moment that I've had to enjoy Avery and our time together as a family. Like every toddler, she has her moments that make me take a deep breath and pray for patience. But she more than makes up for that with every laugh, smile, and squeal of joy. I can't believe that in a few short weeks I'll be twice blessed and my heart will feel twice this amount of love. Thank you, God.
oh look at her little smooshie smooshie cutest face. love.
ReplyDelete