Friday, March 11, 2011

Dear Avery (the time flies edition)


Dear Avery,
Two years ago today we saw your sweet face for the first time. Happy Birthday sweet girl! You have given us two years of joy, fun, and laughter. Before you were born everyone told me to "enjoy every moment... they grow up so fast". I didn't understand just how true that would prove to be. Minute by minute, you are changing before our eyes. It feels like every day you are surprising your Daddy and me with new words and skills. I remember how thrilled I was when you could respond to my questions with one word answers. It was such a relief to be able to communicate with you and understand what you needed. Now just a few months later, you are carrying on conversations and speaking in sentences. You don't just tell us what you need, you tell us how you are feeling.
You love to cuddle, take care of your stuffed animals and feed your baby doll her bottle. Sometimes when your toys have been especially naughty, you put them in "time out" (I wonder where you learned that concept). You take great pride in assembling your puzzles and lining toys up on the fireplace. You can count to 13 without assistance, you can sing most of the alphabet with some help and you can identify several letters. You can sing quite a few nursery rhymes and songs... but only when you are in the mood. You know the basic colors and shapes. You love to pray. Your favorite shows are still Sesame Street and Yo Gabba Gabba. You've also gotten into the Disney princesses (I've been waiting for this stage! I love Disney movies!) and your current favorite is Snow White. You would watch that movie all day every day if we let you. You seem to understand the plot and you'll shout out "There's the evil bad guy lady!", "There's Snow White! She's so pretty!". You get a kick out of spinning in circles, jumping all over the house, and getting piggy back rides from Daddy.
Speaking of Daddy, whenever you put on a fancy dress or an outfit you are really proud of, you immediately say "Go show Daddy!" and run to him to twirl, sheepishly smile, and seek his approval. It's amazing how in your own little way at 2 years old, you are already asking the question that is in every woman's heart ... "Am I lovely?" Avery, you are. You are so so lovely. And Daddy makes sure you know it every time.
You aren't a baby anymore. You are our little girl. I'll admit I still miss the "baby". Sometimes I go up and rock you in the middle of the night not because you need me, but because I need you. I secretly love it when you are in a silly mood and want to play "like a baby" where you insist that we carry you like a baby, feed you like a baby, and give you your sippy cup like it's a bottle. I know I shouldn't encourage it, but I just can't resist. You are growing taller and thinner and losing your baby chub. Your hair is finally long enough for pig tails and although it's cute as a button, I don't like to do it all too often because it makes you look a year older. I want to bottle you up and hold on to this little toddler stage as long as possible. I miss your baby days, but I'm enjoying you exactly as you are right now. And I'm looking forward to being a part of your life as you continue to grow and change.
Avery, your Daddy and I love you so so much. We can't imagine life without you. Happy 2nd Birthday baby girl!

Love, Momma

1 comment:

  1. Happy Happy Birthday sweetest little Avery! I love you little Poptart!

    ReplyDelete