Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Dear Avery,

We need to talk. You are 11 months old now. I can't believe how fast you've grown and how many milestones you've reached, especially over the past couple of weeks. Most notably, you've learned how to walk! Your Daddy and I are really proud of you. You are doing so well. However, we need to discuss something... Your new found mobility seems to have given you an extra boost of independence. Along with that independence you have suddenly developed a very stubborn streak. Over the past week or so you seem to have decided that you will only do what YOU want to do, when YOU want to do it. Screaming and panic ensue when we try to make you wear a hat or shoes. Changing your clothes is nearly impossible. Apparently you'd much prefer to be naked (and frankly, I don't blame you, but I can't change the rules of society on your behalf). Diaper changes are now a two on one task. In the event that your Dad isn't home to help and your diaper needs to be changed, I literally have to pin you down on the ground with my leg. It makes me feel cruel and heartless. You don't want to make me feel that way do you?
And sweet Avery, your one year photo session was yesterday. Do you remember that? Maybe you've blocked it out already. Let me refresh your memory. You would not smile. You would not sit still. You cried a lot. Instead of your beautiful face, most of the pictures are of your hind side as you are crawling right out of the shot. Now, in your defense, I acknowledge that it was REALLY cold in that room and stripping you down to your diaper so you could dig into a cake and get all messy probably wasn't very fun for you since you were shivering and shaking. But the minute your hands touched the cake (the cake that I worked very hard on and had high hopes for) you FLIPPED OUT. You cried and screamed and ruined all my hopes of darling messy baby smash cake pictures. You just weren't in the mood to be told what to do. You are NEVER in the mood to be told what to do.
Now don't get me wrong, Avery. 95% of the time you are a darling sweetheart of a girl. I adore every inch of you and I LOVE YOU. I love being your mom. I love taking care of you and watching your personality develop. Every day I get to know you more is like unwrapping the best gift ever. You are amazing.

But these bursts of defiance have got to go. Okay?
I have no idea where you picked up that stubborn streak. In that regard, you certainly don't take after ME. I was NEVER a stubborn child. My parents have NEVER told me stories about the bullheaded defiant headaches I used to cause them when I was younger. I would NEVER act that way.

So let's work on this together, shall we? I won't make you wear a hat if you will let me change your diaper without having to use certain wrestling techniques.

I love you very much,
Your Momma


(ps- mom and dad... I'm so sorry for everything I ever did to frustrate you.)

7 comments:

  1. i am so in love with this post right now that i can't even explain it. and seriously, who can blame the kid for wanting to just be naked. maybe she got the stubborn streak from aunt jen. just sayin'. well, i don't think i was stubborn as a baby...it's developed in my later years. but hey, sista's just keepin it real at an early age. i knew i loved her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Sarah,

    I have heard that being a mom is wonderful and that moments like these pass faster than one would like. I am praying that it will soon be a distant memory and that you will be well prepared for the terrible Two =)

    c.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hilarious. Seriously, I don't know that I've met a more pleasant babe, it's hard to imagine this is all true, but I'm sure you wouldn't make it up! Hang in there momma!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not going to lie ... a certain mother may have shown me a photo slideshow in the church office yesterday. And I ooohed, and ahhhed, and laughed, and felt so sorry for your girl. But it was still so gosh darn cute!

    And also, this post is stinking amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww, Sarah, I love ya! I'm sorry for the "fun" you're dealing with right now, but thanks for sharing and bringing a smile to my day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So true...so true. I have to say Ella could probably use a similar letter right now. Our problem is her climbing...over everything. Trying to go over her baby gate, screaming when we don't share our food with her (because of course we STARVE her.)I feel your pain fellow mommy...I feel your pain!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi Sarah! thanks for introducing yourself on our art blog! seems like i've seen your name floating around the blog world, either on jen's or emily's blogs. nice to 'meet' you! your little girl is darling! we have 3 boys, 2, 6 and 10 - so i know all about stubbornness!!!
    -jill
    things with wings

    ReplyDelete